The historic castle of Mesta village
- Mesta is a small medieval village located on the Greek island of Chios, in the eastern Aegean Sea. This picturesque village is characterized by its narrow streets, fortified walls, and traditional architecture, and is a popular destination for visitors looking to explore the island’s rich history and culture. In addition to its historic attractions, Mesta is also located close to some of the best beaches and restaurants on Chios, making it an ideal base for exploring the island’s many delights.
- The village of Mesta is a must-see for anyone visiting Chios. It is one of the few remaining medieval villages on the island and is known for its narrow streets and fortified walls, which were built to protect the village from pirate raids during the Middle Ages. Visitors to Mesta can take a stroll through the village’s winding streets and alleys, admiring the traditional architecture and soaking up the atmosphere of this charming village. One of the highlights of the village is the Byzantine church of Agios Nikolaos, which dates back to the 14th century and is located in the heart of the village.
- In addition to its historic attractions, Mesta is also located close to some of the best beaches on the island of Chios. One of the most popular nearby beaches is Elinta, which is located about 15 kilometers from Mesta. This beautiful beach offers crystal-clear waters and golden sands, and is a great place to swim, sunbathe, or relax in the shade of a beach umbrella.
- Another popular beach in the area is Agia Dynami, which is located about 10 kilometers from Mesta. This beach is known for its tranquil atmosphere and unspoiled natural beauty, and is a great place to escape the crowds and enjoy the peace and quiet of the Aegean Sea.
- Finally, for those who are staying at the Voulamandis House on Chios, Mesta is located just 30 kilometers away. This beautiful guesthouse offers traditional accommodation in a peaceful and tranquil setting, and is the perfect base for exploring the island’s many attractions and experiencing the local culture.
- In conclusion, Mesta is a beautiful and historic village that offers a wealth of sights and attractions for visitors to Chios. From its narrow streets and fortified walls to its beautiful beaches and delicious restaurants, there is something for everyone in this picturesque village. Whether you are looking to soak up the local history and culture, relax on the beach, or sample the local cuisine, Mesta is the perfect destination for your next vacation in the Aegean.
- The village is well known for its unique wine “Mestousiko” that is one of the best wines of Chios and “souma”, a drink that is produced by the distillation of figs and grapes. It is a drink for robust drinkers, but pure and with particular flavor.